The pipes of the supply network, are normally buried in the subsoil of the towns, under pavements, asphalt, paving stones, etc., covered with filling ground, gravel, graded-aggregate or buried and protected with concrete at junctions of streets or points where they can suffer high loads. It is not common that the pipes run visibly on the surface or on the interior side of visited galleries, conditions under which it would be simple to find the exact point of the damage and repair it.
Types of Breaks. . .
– Net, round or split break: Sectioning of the pipe by the plane more or less perpendicular to it.
– Pitting: Small hole produced habitually by the external action of the machine of works or by the action of the corrosion. In some occasions we find damaged caused by leaks in old clamps of the outlets of branches, which when they are eliminated, there is a hole performed on the pipe. We can consider this hole, in respect of its reparation system, as if it was a pitting.
– Fissure or crack: Small longitudinal opening on the surface of the pipe. The external action of the machine or an overpressure can produce the cracking of the pipe.
– Burst: The external action of the machine or an overpressure can produce the burst of the pipe.
Fittings for reparation without cutting the pipe
. . . And its reparation
– Damage by net, round or split break: For its reparation, it will be used a flexible coupling or a reparation clamp, with such width that covers easily the whole damaged area and at least 5 cm on each side. Although it is preferred to eliminate the damaged part by cutting for example 1 m on each side and placing a coil with EF sockets or flanges in the case that the PE pipes and sockets in the case of PVC pipes.
– Damage by pitting: In the case of a pitting, it will be repaired through a reparation clamp with such width that covers easily the whole damaged area and at least 5 cm on each side.
– Damage by fissure or crack: When the visible length of the fissure is equal or inferior to 1/3 of the external diameter of the pipe and there isn’t possibility of progress, it will be used a reparation clamp with such width which covers easily the whole fissure, and it is at least 5 cm on each side of the fissure. In such case, it is necessary to guarantee the no continuation of the fissure, being the most proper to cut the higher length than the section that is damaged and to place a coil, or better, to substitute the whole pipe.
– Burst damage: In the case of having produced a burst of the pipe, it will be cut all the damaged section of the pipe, and it is recommendable the pipe substitution.
For the reparation by coil, first we will eliminate the damaged part. In the case of the PE pipes we can use plastic or brass sockets, electrofusion sockets or flanges. In my opinion the electrofusion sockets it is a solution to take into account about the diameters superior to 63 mm.
In the case of the PVC pressure pipes, we can use double-cup sockets or flanges.
Just like the coil with sockets for the pipes under pressure, it is the reparation method of pipes for sanitation without pressure with sockets, as it is here indicated:
– Maintenance of the networks of water under pressure. Part I: Reparations
– PE Pipe – Design and Installation. Manual of water supply practices. M55
>>> Do you know any other method of reparation of plastic pipes?